Sunday, September 30, 2012

Puff Paint on a Pumpkin

I saw this idea on Pinterest.....

pause

My mom and I were talking to my dad and husband yesterday about how so many of our sentences begin with "I saw this on Pinterest" and how they just don't get it. Haha, so great.

So back to what I saw on Pinterest: puff paint on a pumpkin. I thought this idea was so cute and wanted to try it. The picture I pinned came from this blog. She used a fake pumpkin but I wanted to use a real one.

When we were at Green Bluff yesterday, we picked a pumpkin off the vine for this very craft purpose. Today while the applesauce was cooking in the crockpot, I had time to get my craft on.


Supplies: pumpkin (real or fake is up to you), pencil, black fabric paint, paper towel.


According to the blog's directions, I traced my swirls with pencil first so that I had a guideline for my paint dots. Let me say, this tip was really helpful and I would not have thought of doing it if I hadn't read the blog and then I just know I would have gotten frustrated at my random paint dots not looking like swirls.

It helped to work at a table so that I could rotate the pumpkin and paint all sides. Since I was working on a vertical surface, sometimes the paint would come out way too fast in a HUGE dot. I just used my finger or paper towel to wipe it away and re-do. Working on a pumpkin is very easy to clean up and start over.

Ta-da!


Pleased with my craftiness!

Now this puff painted pumpkin wasn't just going to sit all alone. Oh no. After 2 1/2 months living in our house, it was finally time to do some decorating. I had bought some little pumpkins at Green Bluff as well so I had those to use. Then I went and grabbed some of the decor pieces from our wedding and put it all together to make a nice fall display for our kitchen window! I love how it turned out.

I made all the decor pieces for our wedding. As I made them many months ago, I knew I would keep them for home decorating opportunities just like this.

My husband was really excited about the window display too. He thought it looked so nice and was happy I had finally been able to decorate.

Happy Fall Decorating!


Photobucket

Positively Splendid

2 comments:

  1. So fun to see how you are enjoying decorating your nest and being crafty and domestic. :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute, Hannah :) LOVE Pinterest!

    ReplyDelete