Thursday, January 3, 2013

What will 2013 bring?

Well I can already tell you it's brought 2 firsts for me...and it's only day 3?!?!

Today I purchased alcohol for the very first time. I have had drinks before, but it's also been at friend's house, or an all-inclusive setting so I've never actually paid for it or been asked for my I.D. So why, you may ask, did this "first" happen today? Today is my husband's birthday! I am making a nice dinner for him and thought I would get some white wine to go with it. I had NO clue what to get. If I hadn't texted a couple friends for suggestions, I would have just picked the bottle with the coolest looking label. I ended up getting Chateau Ste Michelle Sweet Reisling. Sounds fancy huh? If we like it, I'm going to write it down so we actually can remember next time! (I also plan to keep the bottle for some fun craft!)

The second "first" (does that even make sense?) was also related to this birthday dinner in that I purchased and will be cooking steak. I grew up in a no-red-meat home and so I asked my husband what kind of cut and then just picked the best looking one. We'll see how it goes!

As far as what else 2013 might have in store for me...
I'm not super into resolutions, because they never last through January for me. I can't make daily expectations, it just doesn't happen. So instead, I have been thinking about some goals I have for the whole year. Now some (or all) of them might seem pretty easy to reach, but I tend to take on too much and then get overwhelmed and not accomplish anything so I'm going to set reasonable, attainable goals so that I can look back next year and feel like I did a good job.

Here are my goals for this year:
~to exercise more--yes this is vague, but again I can't say "once a week" or whatever because some weeks are just crazier than others. I will know if I exercised more than last year seeing as last year my exercising consisted of daily workouts from April to May in preparation for my wedding. So if I can keep a somewhat regular schedule going to our gym I will be happy. I have gone 3 times this week already :) that will quickly change once school starts again on Monday.

~to read more--I haven't read for pleasure since I graduated from High School! Oh wait...I DID read the 3 Hunger Games books but 3 books in 4 years...that is so sad. Growing up, I had a book in my hand all the time, I devoured books. I want to get back into reading. To enjoy it, to want to pick up my book, to not be able to put it down. Please help me by suggesting good reads! I would be happy if I read at least 5 books for pleasure this year.

~to craft more--now that I have a Silhouette AND a Project Life, I have great excuses to get my craft on! I would also love to work on some DIY furniture projects and various Pinterest ideas whether for myself or gifts. Let the craftiness come!

~to make a recipe binder--I have SO many recipes dog-earred in Rachel Ray magazines and on Pinterest. I would like to actually combine everything into one binder so I can find things.

~to grow my blog--I would love to increase my followers, comments, etc. I'm not expecting or wanting to become a big-time blog this year, I would just like to grow a little bit.

Besides my goals, here are some things I am hoping will happen this year:
~be re-hired at the school I currently teach at, but I would prefer 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd grade.
~start a couple's Bible study with a few couples we know
~take a fun trip somewhere

What are some of your goals? What are you hoping will happen?

3 comments:

  1. You should read Love Does by Bob Goff. I couldn't put it down! A great read on how we can love like Jesus in every day situations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good ideas for the new year. One of my roommates from last year really motivated me to start making seasonal goals in four categories: physical, spiritual, emotional, and relational. I try to do a mix every few months of things that i'd be interested in doing (i.e. having a dinner party) as well as things i'd like to improve (gym 10 times/month). Breaking into down into much smaller pieces has made it a lot easier for me to keep specific goals.

    Other book suggestions: I'd agree on Love Does. I love the Goffs and all that they do. Another book that is wonderful is My Life in France by Julia Child. She is so wonderful and funny, and I love the relationship she and her husband have. Let me know how your goals go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the book suggestions ladies! I'm going to check my library today to see if they have either or both of them!

    Katilin--breaking it down into seasons would be a good idea!

    Thanks for the comments!

    ReplyDelete