Thursday, January 3, 2013

Homemade Taco Seasoning

I have had a lot of frozen chicken that I have been planning to thaw and cook in the crockpot for tacos, burritos, and other Mexican dishes. When I saw this idea on Pinterest, I knew it was the perfect time to do it.

The pin led me to the blog Rachel Shultz for the recipe. I had all but two of the spices so I got them at the grocery store this morning and then got to making it this afternoon.

 I used the small Rubbermaid container to shake all the spices together. I looked at a package of taco seasoning at the store and the serving information said it contained 12t of mix. The recipe for my crockpot taco chicken said to use one packet. I did the math and realized Rachel's recipe made about 7t of mix so I doubled it. 

Here is the beautiful mixture of spices before I added the cumin, salt, and pepper. 


I added the taco mix and one can of chicken broth to about 15 pieces of frozen chicken tenders. Cook in the crockpot on low for 6-8 hours.

Take the chicken out and let it cool on a cutting mat. 

 Then use two forks to shred all the meat up.
You can save it in the refrigerator for use that week or freeze it for future use.

Thanks Rachel for a great (and healthier) substitute to taco seasoning!

No comments:

Post a Comment