Sunday, March 23, 2014

Spring Crafting and Decorating

In honor of spring, National Craft Month, and my March Goals, I had some fun last weekend!

I've had this little picket fence box for a year and decided it was time to give it a makeover. I wanted to make it classic white but also look authentic with some scuffs, crackles, etc.


After the first (dark) coat dries, then you apply the Martha Stewart crackle medium. I brushed it on more on the lighter side because the packaging said the heavier you put it on the bigger the cracks. Well, those fence posts are not that big so I didn't want the crackles to take over. If I could do it again, I would put more of the crackle medium on because I didn't get much of an effect.


Close up of the crackle. This one fence post is the only good one. The other side of the little planter didn't show ANY crackle. It's not as good as I hoped it would turn out, but it does look more rustic than if I had just done white.


Next craft task--I saw this tutorial for a pinwheel wreath and knew right away that I wanted to make it. Thanks to Sabrina at Neverland Nook for the easy-to-follow tutorial with pictures and directions. I've had my eye on this stack of yummylicious paper at JoAnn's for over a month now. I didn't have a specific use for it so kept telling myself not to buy it so it would just sit in my craft pile with so many other things that I haven't gotten around too. But then, Sabrina's pinwheel wreath tutorial provided the PERFECT reason to make this paper mine.

The lighting isn't the best for these pictures. It was nighttime when I was crafting so I had to use flash. But don't these papers just make you smile!?! I want this to be a fabric line so that when I have a little girl (someday) I can ask my mom to make a quilt out of this fabric!

According to her directions, first cut the paper into 5"x5" squares.

Then glue two different patterns together to make it double-sided.

I didn't take any pictures of making the pinwheels because I was having too much fun. The fact that I needed all my hands to hold the 4 corners may have been a factor as well. :) But Sabrina took pictures and gives great directions how to make the pinwheels so definitely go check out her blog.
Aren't they so fun and whimsical?

Here's the finished project!




I'm in love with it and so glad I made it!

After my crafting was complete, I got to putting it all together for my spring decor. I found the birdcage, frame, and key in the $1-$3 section at Michael's. The key came in a variety pack of 5. I made the blue jar 3 years ago and the wooden birch slice is from my wedding. You can find the spring subway art printable here.


Can you believe after living in our house for 9 months this canvas was the first thing we FINALLY hung on the walls last weekend. Good grief! My mom gave it to me when she was moving a year ago. It fits along perfectly with my latest bird obsession.

Not much on the calendar this month but the few items that are there are big: spring! March Madness! Ireland!

Then we were on a roll and decided to hang something else! I knew I wanted this canvas when I saw it at Hobby Lobby, but I had no idea where it would go that would be just perfect. Hubby held it against various walls so I could look and then he thought of this wall above our stairs. I love it there!

I think it fills the space so nicely and I get to see it multiple times a day!

The end of our bar needed a little spring lovin. I made the button cross last year when I was crafting and decorating for our spring mantel.

This year's spring mantle!



This nest basket (also from my mom) was perfect to go along with my birdie silhouette and some wooden eggs.

I followed some tips from Bird's Party Blog to give my wooden eggs a speckled effect.

I don't consider myself an artist by a long shot so I was pretty proud of myself when my chalkboard turned out this good! My inspiration was this pin whose source I cannot find but it may have been inspired by this chalkboard. I went with a mushroom instead of a bunny or chick because animals are definitely not something I can draw.

The last touch is this little bicycle I found at JoAnn's. I want to find a mini succulent to put in the holder but a candle will do for now.


Have you done anything crafty this month? Do you decorate for spring or only holidays?
Have you used the Martha Stewart crackle medium before? How did it work for you?

4 comments:

  1. Everything looks great! I always thought the pinwheels were made from papers printed on both sides, cool that you could create your own. I haven't crafted this month, just sewing. I have yet to take down my Valentine's day décor :0 but I did put my winter dishes away and brought the spring set out. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pinwheel wreath is adorable! I want to make one for my house :) My little girl is all about pinwheels right now and would love it! Ca I ask what you attached the pinwheels are attached to for it to make a wreath?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!
      Thank you so much for reading my blog and commenting.

      I used a 12inch foam wreath form from Joanns. Here's a link to the item so you can see exactly what I mean.
      http://www.joann.com/12in-extruded-foam-wreath-green/8189078.html#q=foam+wreath&start=3

      I just used straight pins (like for pinning when you sew) to hold all 4 corners together and then went right through the back of the pinwheel and into the wreath. A couple wanted to unfold a little but I just gave them a good push and they stayed in fine. I used 3 of the pins to attach a ribbon so I could hang it. I followed all the directions from Sabrina's tutorial so definitely check that out for more step-by-step directions and pictures.

      I made 12 pinwheels to cover the wreath and it took a bit of fidgeting to get them all on without too much space or squishing, but wasn't too bad.

      Let me know if you have any more questions! I hope you have fun making one!

      Delete
  3. Thank you Hannah for taking the time to reply and further explain how you made your wreath. I can not wait to make one of my own :)

    You have a very sweet blog.

    ReplyDelete