Friday, March 4, 2011

Cooking Adventures

This year I live in an apartment and while the cafeteria on campus is still an option, I have not been inside it once! I have been cooking for myself and I love it! Although, shopping and cooking for one person is not easy or very fun. I do always have leftovers unless I have friends over to share the meal which I absolutely love!

I have a cookbook that I got for Christmas, a bunch of mom's recipes, and a subscription to "Every Day with Rachael Ray." I have enjoyed trying all sorts of new recipes throughout the year though sometimes I do revert back to soup in a can or frozen pizza. But cooking takes time and energy and sometimes as a college student with a job, there just isn't a whole lot of either.

Last night I made this: Polish Pigs in a Blanket from the Rachael Ray show.




you can find the recipe here

This meal is really fast and easy to make! Problems for a single college student is that then you have pizza dough and 1/2 a kielbasa left to figure out what to do with. Sausage is great with spaghetti and marinara sauce and I'm still thinking about how I will use the dough in the next couple days.

This was my second time making it and it turned out pretty good, but here are some tips based on my experience. Spray the baking sheet with non-stick spray or use parchment paper so you don't lose the bottom crust like I did. The sausage crisps much faster than the onions so start it a few minutes later. Next time I will probably use less mustard and onions just because it was kind of overkill. Also, I realized half way through making the slaw dressing that I was out of honey so I just went without. It still tasted good but lacked any sweetness. It was yummy and very filling!



2 comments:

  1. I love the new design! You should submit your picture at the top to SPU, it could definitely be on the homepage :)...I also love your picture slideshow on the side!

    Ohh and I love YOU! you're the best! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a coinky dink - I LOVE YOU TOO!! I like the new look to the blog, pretty background, great banner picture and I like your slideshow!(The slideshow gave me soooo many headaches when I was trying to figure it out, hopefully it was smoother for you)
    Your dinner looks GOOD!
    With the extra dough you could make a Calzone,or a personal pizza.

    ReplyDelete